Leadership Essay 1
Table of Contents
Leadership Essay 1
Write a 3-5 page reflection essay, using terminology from each chapter (1-7) in which you discuss personally experienced and observed everyday examples of your findings and the themes revealed in each of the chapters (1-7). Be sure to write about your specific findings about yourself (ME) from each assigned Questionnaire, Observational Exercise, and Reflection and Action Worksheet.
Please read chapter 1-7 on “drop file to upload for you”
INTRODUCTION 144 TO LEADERSHIP 6.3 OBSERVATIONAL EXERCISE Leadership Skills Purpose 1. To develop an understanding of different types of leadership skills 2. To examine how leadership skills affect a leader’s performance Directions
1. Your task in this exercise is to observe a leader and evaluate that person’s leadership skills. This leader can be a supervisor, a manager, a coach, a teacher, a fraternity or sorority officer, or anyone who has a position that involves leadership.
2. For each of the groups of skills listed below, write what you observed about this leader. Name of leader: Brenda Administrative skills Managing people: Weak Managing resources : Average Showing technical competence : Average Comment: These skills are the weakest for me because I am very shy. Interpersonal skills Being socially perceptive : Average Showing emotional intelligence : Very good Managing conflict : Good Comment: People always see the interpersonal skills in me when it comes to communication with others. Conceptual skills Problem solving :Good Strategic planning: Good Creating vision:Good Comment: Im definitely good at conceptual skills. Question
1. Based on your observations, what were the leader’s strengths and weaknesses? The leader’s strenght were conceptual and the weaknesses was administrative.
2. In what setting did this leadership example occur? Did the setting influence the kind of skills that the leader used? Yes, the setting influence the kind of skills that the leader used to find which one are the strengths and weakness.
3. If you were coaching this leader, what specific things would you tell this leader about how he or she could improve leadership skills? Discuss. I would tell the leader to improve more in administrative because I see how the person has a lack of poor of managing people in her job.
4. In another situation, do you think this leader would exhibit the same strengths and weaknesses? Discuss. I do not think the leader would exhibit the same strenghts and weaknesses because she will show more of what she really like in her life.
Brenda Herrera 10/15/2019
INTRODUCTION 16 TO LEADERSHIP
1.3 OBSERVATIONAL EXERCISE
Conceptualizing Leadership Purpose
1. To develop an understanding of the complexity of leadership
2. To become aware of the different ways people define leadership
1. In this exercise, select five people you know and interview them about leadership.
2. Ask each person to give you his or her definition of leadership, and to describe his or her personal beliefs about effective leadership.
3. Record each person’s response on a separate sheet of paper.
Person #1 (name) Ericka
Person #2 (name) Johanna
Person #3 (name) Claudia
Person #4 (name) Krissol
Person #5 (name) Stephanie
1. What differences did you observe in how these people define leadership?
The different I observe in how these people define leadership was is someone whom others follow. I believe that the title of leadership must be earned, not simply granted. And leader is someone who inspires others with not only physical ability. But also moral integrity.
2. What seems to be the most common definition of leadership?
The most common definition of leadership is “leadership is taking risks, making mistakes, and learning from those mistakes. When leaderships is right, people are inspired to do their best.”
Brenda Herrera 10/15/2019
3. In what ways did people describe leadership differently from the definitions in Chapter 1, “Understanding Leadership”? - People describe leadership differently from the definition in Chapter 1 by their own opinion and what they thought what it meant.
4. Of the people interviewed, whose definition comes closest to your own? Why? - Of the people I interviewed their definition came the closest to mine because It made it clear to understand more about leadership.
Visit edge.sagepub.com/northouseintro3e for a downloadable version of this exercise.
INTRODUCTION 102 TO LEADERSHIP 4.4 REFLECTION AND ACTION WORKSHEET
1. As you reflect on the assumptions of Theory X and Theory Y, how would you describe your own philosophy of leadership? I would describe myself as being fair, supportive, and excellent communication
2. Of the three styles of leadership (authoritarian, democratic, and laissez-faire), what style comes easiest for you? Describe how people respond to you when you use this style. The style comes easiest for me is authoritarian because it fit perfectly for my life. People respond to my style the way I finished the work when ever they told me to do. And they know I am very smart when it comes to work.
3. One of the aspects of democratic leadership is to help subordinates take responsibility for themselves. How do you assess your own ability to help others help themselves? I would allows employees to establish goals.
1. If you were to try to strengthen your philosophy of leadership, what kinds of changes would you have to make in your assumptions about human nature and work? A leader should always be strong in making decision. Should take decisions on time. To strengthen my philosophy of leadership, I would like to change my sociability nature because it will make me think more at times to take a right decision.
2. As you look at your results on the Leadership Styles Questionnaire, what scores would you like to change? What would you have to do to make those changes? The score I would change is “In general, it is best to leave followers alone”. These scores are the one I would like to change among my leadership questionnaire styles results. I would like to change these scores because it makes me laissez-faire for leadership, this why I want to change it.
3. List three specific activities you could use to improve your leadership style. The three specific I want to improve more about my leadership style is making decision free environment, allow each and every individual to take responsibility, and give equal rights in decision making
4. If you make these changes, what impact will this have on others? This change makes me a more perfect democracy leader because these people will enjoy working in such kind of environment as in general every one like to work under democratic leaders